Tuesday, July 22, 2008

[Title of Show] - July 21, 2008

When [Title of Show] was playing Off-Broadway at the Vineyard Theater I saw it and loved it. I found it fun, funny, inspiring, uplifting and just a plain old good time. It was a witty, cheery, sometimes touching story of two guys whipping up an original musical for one of the many theater festivals held in New York. The show was drenched with in-jokes, which personally I loved because I got them, and in terms of capturing the realities of writing and angsting over a new musical: this thing was as honest as you could want without having to suffer for your art. It was a delight.

My trouble with the show then was that I could not see how it could possibly move forward. It was a wonderful piece, but seemed to me to be extremely limited in the audience it might garner.

Then it moved to Broadway. I thought, well that's rich. This show is adorable with a capital A but how the hell do they expect to make a go of Broadway?

Goes to show you, if you dream it you can make it happen.

I could not have been happier for the creators and cast of this show - what a wonderful transition they have made to Broadway. I can say unequivocally that this is the very best show I have seen on Broadway in far, far too long a time. And I am so happy that I was wrong about its ability to move to a bigger house and still draw an audience because this is the kind of smart and funny show that deserves to be on Broadway and that audiences who are paying exorbitant ticket prices deserve to see. Not the same old big production schlock that Broadway has unfortunately become known for. The splashy shows with little or no substance that are geared to 'wow' you that you are actually getting some bang for your buck, but that leave you feeling like your intelligence has been insulted while your eyes were dazzled by pretty sets and costumes.

[Title of Show] has no splashy sets, no fancy costumes - in fact if memory serves the cast is wearing the exact costumes they wore Off-Broadway and guess what: it's exactly the way it should be. And if you are lucky enough to get a chance to see this special little Off-Broadway gem that has grown up to be a Broadway Star you will see how little splash is required when you have substance.


[Title of Show]
Lyceum Theatre
149 West 45th Street (Between Broadway and 6th Avenue)
New York NY 10036
Tickets

No comments: