Monday, August 4, 2008

What To Do When You Hate All Your Friends: An Anti-Social Comedy - July 20, 2008

I went into Larry Kunofsky's "Hate All Your Friends" expecting an antagonistic bleakness. Yeah, good attitude.

I was pleasantly wrong. "Hate All Your Friends" is funny, funny stuff! I am quick to leave at intermissions if I feel like I've put in enough time during the first act and see nothing interesting coming down the pike, I'm happy to say that I was glued to my seat here. I consistently laughed out loud and that is not a common occurrence at the theater for me.

The base of the story is meeting between Matt, played hilariously by Todd D'Amour,
who has decided that he despises and loathes everyone in his life and that he has no friends and a cult-like group of "friends" who are more of a society with firm rules and regulations than a true group of like-minded individuals who care for and support each other. Their points and ranking systems for who is their best friend (for any given time period) is complex and often disturbing - but funny throughout.

The cast is quite a talented group all of whom are blessed with great comic timing. Since several double up on roles, the costuming
(Melissa Trn) - different bright and happy colors for different characters - is a nice visual assist to the audience.

The end of the play seems a bit out of place, not so much that it's really bothersome, but that is the only thing I can come close to saying is amiss in this very funny, thought-provoking piece.

What To Do When You Hate All Your Friends
The Lion @ Theatre Row
410 West 42nd Street
(between 9th & 10th Avenues)
New York, NY 10036
Tickets

Performance Dates:
July 19, 2008 - August 23, 2008

No comments: